I’m sure we can all say what a lovely well run day the showjumping was last weekend. Our thanks go to Brent Knoll riding club for hosting and running it.
Most will know there was a major problem with the style judge and the judging sheets being filled in incorrectly and omitting a lot of scores. This was picked up early on and we did our best to resolve the problem however we were told firmly this is how they are done. Brent Knoll riding club, Myself and others from the area raised concerns and on the day this is why the results were not formalised. The issues raised were
- Nobody had jump style marks
- Those placed had jumping faults above those with clear rounds.
It was felt that no decision would be made until we sought advice from BRC. I spoke with them on Monday and I will say they were very understanding and could see why we had held off putting the results out. They had a meeting and came back to me yesterday.
BRC have accepted an official complaint from me on behalf of Area 12 against the style judge who was a qualified listed BRC Style jumping judge. They have apologised and noted the problem, they mentioned they would be reviewing the judges list and the future of having BRC specific SJ people.
- However wrong the sheets were everyone was judged consistently (badly)
- Because a re run was offered and most do not want to travel again, We have collated the honesty list of faults. These do match the sheets. The judge had noted the jumping faults
- BRC said that those with faults can come above clears. The winner of the championship last year won with 4 faults.
- We have looked at a cross section of sheets and yes the highest placed people have had higher style marks but with jumping faults which have place them above. It is possible.
- BRC Decided they will take the results as they stand. It would be sad not to send people from area 12, This was based upon the fact the score sheets were judged the same way.
This decision was made by BRC. We know ,understand and accept there will be disappointment, jubilation from the winners, and I think we all are left with bemusement and disappointment that a listed judge could let us down so badly.
As an area we will not be inviting this person back to judge for us. I would like to close the matter as I don’t think there is any other solution. but we must all move on, support our area at the championship and look at it as one of life’s curved balls.
Thank you all for understanding.