Please note the following advice from the BHS regarding juniors at club camps:
- If under 18s are to attend the camp those who are responsible for them (if their parents or guardians are not attending) will be required to complete a criminal record check through the Disclosure and Barring Service (formally the CRB). This is due to those supervising the under 18s being in regulated activity as they are supervising overnight and it is a legal requirement. We can carry these checks out for you but you will need to make sure you allow plenty of time for the checks to come back before the date of the camp, they can take up to 12 weeks to return, but normally are back in 2-4 weeks. If you wish to carry out checks please let me know and I can send out the information pack.
- You will also need to make sure under 18s can stay in separate accommodation to those over the age of 18, unless they are with their parents or guardian i.e. they do not sleep in the same tents or dormitories as over 18s.
- Parental consent forms such as the attached are a must and you must also make sure you take relevant medical details.
- You will need to make sure that one person is responsible for safeguarding children this would normally be your Club Welfare Officer.
- I have also attached a checklist for
overnight stays which you may find useful.
- Check your insurance is valid to have under 18s at the camp.
- Discuss with the U18s before the camp the behaviour you expect, you may like to ask them to sign a code of conduct (example attached).
I realise this does sound like a lot of paperwork but it is important that you make sure that those U18s who attend are safe and that you completed your duty of care towards them. Once you have run one camp and have everything in order the next one will be much easier.
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.Ellie Vajčovec (Mrs) Safeguarding & Equality Executive Clubmark Officer The British Horse Society 02476 840481 Confidential email address:CPLeadOfficer@bhs.org.uk RC Checklist for Overnight Stays RC Parental Consent Form RC Code of conduct for Junior Members